Tag: 苏州哪有水磨不限次的

All transactions were approved by Cabinet – Brassington

first_imgSOCU’s 27 cases …as former NICIL exec recalls arrest, questioning by SOCUIn the wake of his sit down with investigators, former Executive Director of the National Industrial and Commercial Investments Limited (NICIL) Winston Brassington, in an interview with Guyana Times after leaving Special Organised Crime Unit (SOCU) on Wednesday, is stressing the transparency of what he did in his former post.Brassington; along with former Finance Minister, Dr Ashni Singh, were arraigned on charges of misconduct in public office on Tuesday. After court, Brassington related he was subsequently told to go to SOCU the next day.According to Brassington, he was informed that the investigators would have questions for him. He recounted that upon his arrival at SOCU’s Camp Street headquarters, he was placed under arrest.Former Executive Director of the National Industrial and Commercial Investments Limited (NICIL) Winston Brassington“I was told to go to SOCU the next day, they have questions for me. When I arrived the first thing they told me was that I was under arrest for alleged misconduct in public office. We then went over 20 transactions that spanned all the way from the 1990s, where every single case the valuation was higher than the selling price.”“Every single one of these transactions was approved by either the Privatisation Board, or the NICIL Board, or both. Additionally, every single one of them was approved by the Cabinet. In many of these cases, these properties were sold by public tender.”Adamant that all these transactions were above board, the former Executive Director also expressed amazement that the investigation has still not concluded, but he was charged. Indeed, while in court, the defence team’s attempts to have the charges read summarily rather than indictable were rebuffed by Special Prosecutor Trenton Lake, who stated that investigations are still ongoing.“What is amazing is that even though I resigned early 2016, in May of 2018 they’re still investigating. When we were in court and (Attorney Anil) Nandlall asked to see the evidence, they said they’re still investigating. So, the fact that they’re charging me while the matter is still being investigated almost three years after the audit.”The two men were arraigned on charges of allegedly selling several plots of land on the East Coast of Demerara to National Hardware Guyana Ltd for over $598 million. In addition, the charge includes selling land to Scady Business Corporation at a cost of $150 million, and to Multi-cinemas Guyana Inc at a cost of $185 million.The Special Organised Crime Unit (SOCU) brought the charges against the two former Government officials early last month. Singh and Brassington are due to return to court on June 5.Both men appeared before Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan who granted them $2 million bail on each of the three joint charges, despite the defence attorney had sought a reduction for these amounts to $1 million for all three charges for each person.Following the court proceedings, both men were escorted by Police in handcuffs and placed in the prisoner’s dock where they waited for a few minutes before being released.Former Attorney General Anil Nandlall, who was part of the defence team, described the act of handcuffing Singh and Brassington as dehumanising and one that sought to humiliate these two former senior Government officials who served the country with distinction. On Wednesday, however, the duo went into SOCU in the company of their lawyers. Speaking with media afterwards, former Attorney General Anil Nandlall told the press, which waited patiently outside SOCU, that the two were questioned about 27 allegations of misconduct in public office, even on matters dating back to 1994.These transactions involved Guyana Stockfeeds; Marilyn Oudho; Clairan’s; Guyana Bank for Trade and Industry; Duke Lodge; Pritipaul Singh Investments; Hand-in-Hand; National Hardware; Twin’s Manufacturing; Old GPC; Anthony Pires; Property Holdings Inc; I Ali; Hicks, Linden; Sanata at Industrial Site; Mohabir, Linden and SOL (Guyana).It is understood that Brassington will have to return to SOCU on Monday.last_img read more

Winnipeg Transit accused of failing to attend to unconscious passenger

first_imgThis video obtained by APTN shows the bus continued on its route while a man lay unconscious on the floor.Alward said she called 9-1-1 for help.“I had to tell the bus driver to stop. He said that everything was OK, that he had already called his supervisor,” she said.“I told him everything wasn’t OK, and that I was on the phone with 9-1-1 right there and then. And that he needed to stop the bus so the ambulance could come and get this guy.”James Favel, co-founder of Winnipeg’s Bear Clan Patrol, which helps the city’s poor and vulnerable, was outraged to hear Alward’s account.“That’s absurd that Transit would value its schedule over a person’s life,” he said Tuesday.“They need some sensitivity training or something.”Favel confirmed Bear Clan had been in talks with the drivers’ union – Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1505 – to supply bus passes and training to his members to be public ambassadors onboard. But he said Transit officials rejected the proposed pilot project.Alward said the incident has her fearing for her own welfare because she, too, is an Indigenous person.“What if I fell for whatever reason and they said, ‘Oh, it’s just a drunk Indian that fell over.’”She said she’s still wondering why the driver didn’t respond more positively.“He had a really cavalier attitude. When the bus stopped a woman came back there and she thanked me. She said she was really nervous about everything and that man had been on the floor like that since she got on.”To top it off, she said the driver complained about the delay.“He said something about being late and I said, ‘No, this is more important than you being late for your route.’”Alward said a fire truck arrived within minutes followed by an ambulance. She said she left when first responders started attending to the man.“I was too upset and I had to leave,” she [email protected] This man was unconscious on a Winnipeg Transit bus. (Submitted photo)Kathleen MartensAPTN NewsWinnipeg Transit is investigating after a bus driver allegedly ignored an unconscious Indigenous man lying on the floor as he continued picking up passengers.“People were just supposed to step over him,” said an upset Sandra Lee Alward after riding the No. 18 bus.Alward, a nurse, said the disturbing incident occurred June 28. She said she boarded the bus and spotted the man she estimated to be in his late 20s lying on the floor near the back.“His shirt was missing and there was a $5 bill half-way sticking out of his back pocket. I didn’t smell any liquor.”Alward says she couldn’t believe the driver carried on like no one was in trouble.“I just went straight back there to see how he was and why he was on the ground. I didn’t touch him because the bus kept moving,” she said.“He had shallow and rapid breathing – he wasn’t sleeping. There was something wrong with him.”A spokesperson for Winnipeg Transit said Tuesday it was investigating the incident described by APTN.“Winnipeg Transit takes these matters very seriously and is currently investigating the incident,” said spokesperson Alissa Clark in an email.last_img read more