Tag: 上海千花验证归来

Virgin Galactic strikes deal with New Mexico

first_imgLONDON – Virgin Galactic, the British company created by entrepreneur Richard Branson to send tourists into space, and New Mexico announced an agreement Tuesday for the state to build a $225 million spaceport. Virgin Galactic also revealed that up to 38,000 people from 126 countries have paid a deposit for a seat on one of its manned commercial flights, including a core group of 100 “founders” who have paid the initial $200,000 cost of a flight upfront. Virgin Galactic is planning to begin flights in late 2008 or early 2009. New Mexico Economic Development Secretary Rick Homans said construction of the spaceport, to be built largely underground in the south of the state near the White Sands Missile Range, could begin in early 2007, depending on approval from environmental and aviation authorities. Virgin will have a 20-year lease on the facility, with annual payments of $1 million for the first five years and rising to cover the cost of the project by the end of the lease. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORERose Parade grand marshal Rita Moreno talks New Year’s Day outfit and ‘West Side Story’ remake “Experts predict that thousands of jobs and hundreds of millions of dollars of private investment will be created in the next 20 years as the private sector develops new commercial markets in the space industry in New Mexico,” Homans said in London. “Virgin is the beginning and many other space companies will follow.” Virgin Galactic said it had chosen New Mexico as the site for its headquarters because of its steady climate, free airspace, low population density and high altitude. All those factors can significantly reduce the cost of the space flight program. The spaceport, to be located some 25 miles south of the town of Truth or Consequences, will be constructed 90 percent underground, with just the runway and supporting structures above ground. Stephen Attenborough, the Virgin Galactic executive in charge of marketing the space flights, said the 100 founder members were committed to “stepping up to the plate” and boarding a flight early in the operations. “Many of the others will need to wait until the price comes down and will want to wait for proven reliability and safety,” he said. Trevor Beattie, a London-based advertising director who paid for his ticket within days of Branson’s announcement of the company’s launch, said he was not concerned about safety. “My only concern is that the longer they leave the launch, the more likely we all are to be hit by a bus,” said Beattie, who has dreamed of going to space since watching the 1969 moonwalk. Branson formed Virgin Galactic after watching SpaceShipOne, a craft designed by Burt Rutan and funded by Microsoft Corp. co-founder Paul Allen, become the first privately manned rocket to reach space last year. SpaceShipOne went on to win the $10 million Ansari X Prize with two suborbital flights in five days from Mojave. Virgin Galactic has a deal with Rutan to build five spacecraft, licensing technology from Allen’s company, Mojave Aerospace Ventures. Virgin Galactic plans to operate its initial flights from the Mojave base ahead of the projected opening of the New Mexico spaceport in late 2009 or early 2010. Virgin Galactic also unveiled its logo – the pupil of an eye incorporating an eclipse. Branson’s iris will be used for the final design. Branson is due to join New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson in the United States today to unveil the spaceport plans. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

JIM AND THE TEAM BACK PAUL’S DREAM OF WALKING FOR FIRST TIME!

first_imgJim McGuinness with Paul and his mum Anne-Marie.Big-hearted Jim McGuinness and his team have backed a little boy’s campaign to walk for the first time.The Donegal GAA stars took time out of their busy schedule to meet with young Paul Doherty from Killygordon and to back his campaign ‘Mammy I Want To Walk.’The five year old’s mum Anne Marie is trying to raise €60,000 so her son can have an operation in America next March which could help him take his first steps. The Donegal manager and his team met with Paul and his mum at MacCumhaill Park yesterday and backed their campaign.Anne Marie said later “The lads were so nice and we really appreciate them taking the time out to help Paul. They are facing such a huge game and are so busy getting ready for it but they still took the time out to help Paul and the campaign.”Anne-Marie and her crew of collectors traveled to the All-Ireland semi-final at Croke Park and managed to collect almost €7,000 for Paul’s operation in one afternoon.The ‘Mammy I Want To Walk’ campaign will also be traveling to Croke Park for the final where they are hoping to add to their cash fund for the operation. And with the Donegal team’s backing, Paul’s dream of taking his first steps are getting even closer.Some of the Donegal team backing Pau and Anne-Marie’s campaign. JIM AND THE TEAM BACK PAUL’S DREAM OF WALKING FOR FIRST TIME! was last modified: September 7th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Anne Marie DohertydonegalGAAJim McGuinnessMummy I Want To Walk campaignpaul dohertylast_img read more

DONEGAL BEEF FARMERS PICKET MEAT PLANT AS PART OF 24 HOUR PROTEST OVER ANIMAL PRICES

first_imgA truck held up as members of Donegal IFA as they blockade the Donegal / Foyle Meat’s Factory Carrigans as part of there nationwide protest at the low prices being paid for cattle. Photo- Clive WassonDonegal beef farmers are currently taking part in a 24 hour protest against plummeting meat prices with a picket at Carrigans Meat Plant.A large group have gathered at the plant since earlier today as part of the protest.Donegal IFA Chairman PJ McMonagle giving instructions to the members of Donegal IFA as they blockade the Donegal / Foyle Meat’s Factory Carrigans as part of there nationwide protest at the low prices being paid for cattle. Photo- Clive WassonDozens of protestors carrying placards stood at the entrance of the plant. The crowd was addressed by PJ McMonagle, chairman of the Donegal IFA.Farmers say they simply cannot live with the prices being offered for Irish animals.Farmers in Donegal are getting €350 less per animal than farmers in Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK.Mr McMonagle said between the meat factories and the supermarkets, the profit is not being passed on to farmers. He added that the problem of low prices for beef will have a ripple effect for farmers across the country and could put many farmers out of business.The protest is expected to last until tomorrow afternoon.Gardai were present at today’s protest but there has been no altercations.Garda checking out the protest by members of Donegal IFA as they blockade the Donegal / Foyle Meat’s Factory Carrigans as part of there nationwide protest at the low prices being paid for cattle. Photo- Clive Wasson DONEGAL BEEF FARMERS PICKET MEAT PLANT AS PART OF 24 HOUR PROTEST OVER ANIMAL PRICES was last modified: October 28th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:CARRIGANS MEAT PLANTdonegalfarmersprotestlast_img read more

Theory of Early Oxygenation Undermined

first_img(Visited 21 times, 1 visits today)FacebookTwitterPinterestSave分享0 Fossils living in and around newly-discovered methane seeps have cast strong doubt on a leading theory of earth’s climate history.For a long time, evolutionary geologists have inferred the oxygen levels of ancient oceans by the fossils of marine organisms, particularly foraminifera (forams for short).  That inference fed into theories of how life was evolving and how earth’s climate was changing.  Now, studies of living forams in and around the seeps shows that forams live both close to the seeps and away from them.The seeps were discovered to scientists’ surprise last summer (see 8/25/14).  PhysOrg reports that the new fossil work by Indiana State was serendipitous, surprising, and monumental.  Finding forams has been an index of oxygen levels in the past – so it was thought.So, finding this species in abundance in both seep and non-seep environments where oxygen is limited was unexpected. Based on their research, Rathburn and Burkett speculate that it’s not the abundance of oxygen that determines where these creatures are located. It may simply be that they’re present where there are hard surfaces on the sea floor for them to live on.The finding threatens to undo models of past climate change.Burkett presented her surprise findings this past October to the scientific community at a meeting of the Geologic Society of America in Vancouver, Canada. The response was positive.“At this meeting, we shocked people with our results,” Rathburn said. “(Our research) will shake up our ideas about how to use these creatures in the interpretation of the environments of the past.“A lot was built on this index: past climate and evolutionary transitions.  Those will now be called into question.Inferences about past conditions are always indirect, dependent on some “index” that supposedly represents the changing conditions.  When the index is shown to be flawed, all the baggage loaded on it comes tumbling down.  No doubt, textbooks, TV and science articles will continue to blindly tell their story of when earth’s oxygen surged.  It will be like speaking out the window of a collapsed house of cards.  Those of us who know this new evidence should speak boldly to the evolutionists, telling them they cannot know past climate or evolution with this evidence; the world is consistent with a recent creation that always had habitable conditions for complex life.  We should also speak to the climate alarmists, pointing to this unexpected finding of all these methane seeps as evidence that the future of the climate cannot be known because of the number of unknowns.last_img read more

Why Is Apple Still Holding On To iPods? Because We Still Need Them

first_imgchristina ortiz Related Posts Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai…center_img Tags:#Apple#web Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting Everything coming from Apple is a multi-tasker, including the iPod. But, out of all of the devices in Apple’s lineup, the iPod Nano and Shuffle are the closest thing it has to a uni-tasker.Sure, the Nano can broadcast radio, track fitness, play videos and even make a decent compass, but it’s main job is play music. The iPhone does this too, along with just about everything else, so why is the company still holding on to such a seemingly simple device? Because some people still want to keep their music and their phones separate. It’s obvious that Apple knows when to give up on a device or project: Power Mac G4 Cube, MobileMe, Ping. There must be a good reason for keeping something on board that, by the numbers, isn’t as big a hit as it once was. In the third quarter of this year, Apple reported a 10% decline in iPod sales. (It didn’t specify which kinds of iPods sold, or didn’t sell.) In 2011 it was reported, that there was a decline in iPod sales since 2005 overall. After the launch of the 6th generation Nano, there was speculation that it would be the last of the line. It took a decade in gadget time (real time: two years) to get a new version. Despite the falling numbers, the Nano and Shuffle persist. But why? Doesn’t Apple want to push us to carry the brunt of our music on an iPod Touch or iPhone? Those devices – and their ability to perform countless tasks – are one of the reasons Apple is a big dog in the mobile world now. But when it comes to the Nano, Apple’s strategy is different. It only has one task during its life span: to play your music. And that explains it lasting appeal. I don’t like to carry my phone with me at the gym. Or when I’m out for a run, or when I’m on a plane. Or when I’m trying to have a peaceful moment without my phone reminding me that I have obligations and people trying to connect with me. I also don’t worry when my Nano is dropped, or gets near sand and sweat, as I do with my iPhone. It’s an expensive device, but it doesn’t carry as much weight, it’s easier to replace. It’s true, sometimes, you don’t want to be connected. You just want a moment to yourself (and your music) without the burden of our new found social world. That’s why Apple is holding onto the iPod. What do you think, is there still a market for this line of iPods and future ones, or is this a last-ditch effort from Apple to see if MP3 players are still viable? Do you still use your iPod or want a new one? last_img read more

Former Gujarat MP Vitthal Radadiya dead

first_imgViththal Radadiya, a prominent leader of cooperative sector, and two-time parliamentarian who represented Porbandar, died on Monday following a prolonged illness. A prominent political leader from Saurashtra region who had been with the BJP, Congress and regional outfit RJP, the former five-time legislator and cabinet minister was suffering from cancer and was bedridden for a year. His son Jayesh is a cabinet minister in the Gujarat government and he was a sitting parliamentarian till 2019 but in the last election, he was dropped because of his illness. His mortal remains will be kept at a hostel at Jamkhandorna in Rajkot district on Tuesday between 7 a.m. and 12 noon for people to pay their last respects, said his son Jayesh, who is a Gujarat civil supply minister .”The final journey will commence at 1 pm on Tuesday from his residence till Patel Chowk at Jamkhandorna,” Mr. Jayesh posted on Twitter. Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Gujarat CM Vijay Rupani and others expressed condolences. “Saddened to hear about the demise of former Porbandar MP Vitthalbhai Radadiya. Gujarat has lost a powerful farmer leader. He will always be remembered for his contribution in the field of cooperative, education, and political sphere. May God give strength to the family members to bear the loss,” Prime Minister Modi tweeted.”Saddened by the demise of senior BJP leader Shri Vitthalbhai Radadiya. I express my deepest condolences to his family and friends. Om Shanti,” Mr. Rupani tweeted.Mr. Radadiya was a towering figure in Gujarat’s co-operative sector with a strong base among farmers of Saurashtra. Mr. Radadiya represented Dhoraji Assembly constituency five times since 1993.He was also chairman of Rajkot district cooperative bank, agriculture produce marketing committee (APMC) and Rajkot district cooperative milk union. Mr. Radadiya however was at the centre of a controversy in 2012 when he was caught brandishing a gun at a toll plaza in Karzan in Vadodara district after being asked to show his identity card.With PTI inputslast_img read more

San Beda nips UP for Filoil semis seat

first_imgRobredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netSan Beda continued its immaculate run in the Filoil Flying V Preseason Premier Cup and turned back University of the Philippines, 65-56, in the quarterfinals Wednesday at the tournament’s namesake arena in San Juan.The Red Lions, who are 9-0 so far in the tournament, set up a semifinals matchup against NCAA member Jose Rizal University on Friday.ADVERTISEMENT What ‘missteps’? Heart Evangelista admits she’s pregnant… with chicken WATCH: Firefighters rescue baby seal found in parking garage View comments Robert Bolick led San Beda’s recovery and he finished with 17 points, four rebounds, eights assists, and two blocks while Joese Presbiterio had 14 points.Ibrahim Quattara posted a 22-point, 25-rebound double-double to lead UP. LATEST STORIES World’s 50 Best Restaurants launches new drinking and dining guide 1 dead in Cavite blast, fire Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next For the complete collegiate sports coverage including scores, schedules and stories, visit Inquirer Varsity. Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. After a tight 27-26 first half, San Beda pushed the tempo and used a strong third quarter to create some distance from UP.The Red Lions held down the Fighting Maroons to just seven points while scoring 18 of their own to head into the fourth quarter with a 45-33 lead and that became a big enough margin for San Beda to hold on to the victory.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutSan Beda head coach Boyet Fernandez said he had to change things up in the second half to counter UP’s pressing defense, citing the Red Lions’ lack of rhythm in their offensive end for their subpar play.“If we’re going to play against UP, we’re going to execute our game plan properly,” said Fernandez. “In the first half, we kept running around like a headless chicken. I hope the players realized that we’re not going to beat UP one-on-one.” MOST READ Jordan delivers on promise: 2 Cobra choppers now in PH Heart Evangelista admits she’s pregnant… with chicken JRU overcomes Adamson, enters semis in Filoillast_img read more