Category: cdgfdaop

Toll rises to 19 from violence in Indian capital: Hospital official

first_imgAt least 19 people have been killed in the Indian capital during clashes between opposing protesters over a new citizenship law, a senior hospital official told Reuters on Wednesday, even as an eerie calm descended on some riot-torn areas of New Delhi.”There are 15 patients in critical condition,” the hospital official from the Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital told Reuters, adding that a total of 19 people had now died at the facility. Police used tear gas and smoke grenades, but struggled to disperse stone-throwing crowds.The clashes, which coincided with a visit to India by U.S. President Donald Trump, erupted early this week between thousands demonstrating for and against the new citizenship law introduced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Hindu nationalist led government. Critics say the law is biased against Muslims and undermines India’s secular constitution. Topics :last_img read more

Arsenal handed boost as Napoli boss Carlo Ancelotti rules out Kieran Tierney transfer

first_imgArsenal handed boost as Napoli boss Carlo Ancelotti rules out Kieran Tierney transfer Advertisement Arsenal have failed with two bids to sign Celtic star Kieran Tierney (Picture: Getty)Napoli boss Carlo Ancelotti appears to have cleared the path for Arsenal to sign Kieran Tierney after ruling out a move for the Celtic left-back.Reports claim the Gunners are confident of agreeing a deal for Tierney after a breakthrough in talks with the Bhoys despite failing with £15m and £25m bids for the 22-year-old.It’s understood Celtic are holding out for an offer of at least £30m for the Scotland international.Though Napoli have also been linked with Tierney in recent weeks, Ancelotti insists the club have no interest as they are satisfied with their current full-backs.ADVERTISEMENTMore: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityAsked about Napoli’s interest in Tierney, Ancelotti replied: ‘Honestly, I’m not interesting in signing him.AdvertisementAdvertisement‘He is a really good young left back but he is a Celtic player.‘We are looking for a lot of players for this coming season but he is a Celtic player and we have two good left backs.‘But honestly I can say he is a really good player.’ Comment Arsenal are expected to announce Nicolas Pepe’s arrival this coming week (Picture: Getty)Unai Emery claims Arsenal are working on bringing in players ‘who will improve the squad’ before transfer deadline day.‘The club is thinking on how we can improve,’ he said following Arsenal’s 2-1 defeat to Lyon at the Emirates Cup.‘There are different players on the table. Pepe’s a very good player. We only want players who can really, really improve the squad.‘We want the best players possible for the first game at Newcastle.’Asked whether Arsenal require a new winger before the end of the transfer window, Emery replied: ‘Again, we really want players who make the squad better than last year.’MORE: Manchester United transfer target Moussa Dembele breaks silence on his future after helping Lyon beat Arsenalcenter_img Advertisement Ancelotti insists Napoli are ‘not interested’ in Tierney (Picture: Getty)Napoli have also been heavily linked with Nicolas Pepe, 24, this summer, but Arsenal have reportedly won the race for the Lille forward.Asked about the prospect of missing out on Pepe to Arsenal,Ancelotti replied: ‘I’m not disappointed.‘I don’t like to talk about players of other teams. The market is so long.‘We are looking. If there are opportunities, we can do it.’ Metro Sport ReporterSunday 28 Jul 2019 9:59 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link689Shareslast_img read more

Construction work well off highs as Qld building approvals slide: ABS

first_imgConstruction work is down 40 per cent from the highs of the mining boom in Qld, according to ABS. Photo: Jodie Richter.CONSTRUCTION work done in Queensland in the past quarter was down 40 per cent from the highs of the mining boom, according to the latest figures. While building activity in the states of NSW and Victoria has hit record highs, it’s a different story in the resource states of Queensland and Western Australia.According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS), construction work completed in the June quarter surged by 9.3 per cent nationally, but it only rose by 2.1 per cent in Queensland.Building approvals data also released by the ABS highlighted the downward trend in Queensland.Permits to build dwellings in the state fell a seasonally adjusted 2.6 per cent in July to 3,388 — down 20.1 per cent on the same period last year.Nationally, building approvals were down 1.7 per cent for the month and almost 14 per cent lower than a year ago, but economists had expected a bigger fall of 5 per cent.There was renewed weakness in apartment approvals, which were down 6.7 per cent during the month. Tennis court for sale (the home’s not bad either) More from newsMould, age, not enough to stop 17 bidders fighting for this home1 hour agoBuyers ‘crazy’ not to take govt freebies, says 28-yr-old investor1 hour ago Qld house sales fall off a cliff Bag yourself a bargain bungalow The figures follow a sharp decline shown in Tuesday’s Housing Industry Association new home sales data and continue the trend of a housing construction sector coming off its peak.Master Builders Australia said the boom in apartment construction could not last forever and some correction was to be expected, especially in the Brisbane and Melbourne markets.HIA principal economist Tim Reardon said the figures showed the detached house building sector had plateaued at a high level while the building of multi-unit projects was sliding.“The slowdown in the multi-unit sector is also showing up in the amount of work done on all residential sites,” he said.“This slowdown in on-site activity is likely to see residential building have a negative impact on GDP growth for the June quarter,”Mr Reardon said the significant variation in industry conditions between apartments and houses across the states was likely to continue for some time.last_img read more

Pension funds’ ETF allocations driven by diversification, study shows

first_imgPension fund allocations to exchange-traded fund (ETFs) are driven by diversification and tactics over short-term transition management, research shows.Schemes’ allocations have grown in recent years but are perceived to be used mainly in investment strategy transition and overlay management.However, research from Greenwich Associates found that pension funds hold onto ETF investments for an average of 29 months, the highest of all institutions in Europe.Its survey of 120 European institutional investors, of which 68 were pension funds, found that one-quarter actively allocate to ETFs. Between the insurance company, asset manager and pension fund respondents, investors allocate an average of 7% of assets to ETFs, the study showed.Greenwich said differences in pension fund regulation within Europe meant it was difficult to make country comparisons, but that public and industry-wide schemes were more likely to use ETFs than company schemes.The study, sponsored by BlackRock, also found 69% of pension fund investors used ETFs for international diversification.More than half (53%) used the funds for tactical adjustment in portfolios, as well as part of a core allocation.Only 9% used ETFs for transitional management, with roughly one in 10 using the strategy for interim beta or overlay management.The report said: “Despite the widespread use of ETFs for tactical applications, few institutions are employing ETFs as true short-term investments.“Less than 2% of study participants report average holding periods of a month or shorter. In practice, European pension funds seem to be employing ETFs in the most strategic manner.”The study also anticipated a growing interest from pension funds, with more than one-fifth of institutions expected to increase ETF exposure over the next three years.However, Greenwich said the actual rate could be higher, as investors – particularly those on the Continent – continuing to diversify away from European government bonds.“As they do so, [investors] are moving beyond the area of expertise and the capabilities of the internal investment departments that have managed sizeable portions of those assets,” the report said.“These changes will likely create demand for new means of achieving desired investment exposures and for new tools for risk management, transition management and other functions associated with more diverse and complex portfolios.”Greenwich also said it expected ETF usage to expand further away from equities, where it is primarily used.“Robust adoption rates in fixed income and experimentation with ETFs in new asset classes such as commodities will also drive ETF growth,” it said.Research from PwC said 78% of asset managers and investment companies surveyed in its report expected total assets in ETFs to increase from $2.6trn (€2.3trn) to $5trn in 2020.last_img read more

Noble Corp. lands extensions for jack-ups working in UK and Saudi Arabia

first_imgOffshore drilling contractor Noble Corporation has been awarded contract extensions for two jack-up rigs in the UK and Saudi Arabia.Noble Sam Hartley; Source: Noble Corp.In its latest fleet status report released on Thursday, Noble Corp. said that Total had awarded a contract extension to the Noble Sam Hartley jack-up.The extension is from mid-July to mid-April 2020. The 2014-built rig has been working for Total in the UK since October 2018.According to Bassoe Offshore, the dayrate for the rig’s contract and extension with Total is $90,000.Furthermore, Saudi Aramco has awarded an extension to the Noble Joe Beall jack-up. This will keep the rig working in Saudi Arabia until late December 2019 with a dayrate of $65,000.The Noble Joe Beall has been working for Saudi Aramco since January 2016. The rig was built in 1981 and rebuilt in 2004.In other news, the 2013-built drillship Noble Don Taylor is preparing at a shipyard in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico for mobilization to Guyana where it will operate for ExxonMobil.The 2014-built jack-up Noble Houston Colbert is at a shipyard in the UK preparing for a contract with an unnamed client, which is scheduled to start in early November 2019.Offshore Energy Today StaffSpotted a typo? Have something more to add to the story? Maybe a nice photo? Contact our editorial team via email. Also, if you’re interested in showcasing your company, product or technology on Offshore Energy Today, please contact us via our advertising form where you can also see our media kit.last_img read more

Sierra Leone in Lockdown to stop Ebola

first_imgThousands of teams will be around the country, knocking on doors to remind people how Ebola is spread and how to prevent it.The government of Siera Leone has enforced a three day lockdown where the countries six million people will  be forced to stay at home as a measure taken by authorities in its final push against  Ebola.Thousands of teams will  be around the country, knocking on doors to remind people how Ebola is spread and how to prevent it.In regions around the capital and in the North where flare-ups persist, health workers will also search for Ebola cases.There is a two-hour exemption on Friday to allow Muslim prayers and a five-hour window for Christians on Sunday.Volunteers are going door-to-door, looking for people with signs of the disease and reminding others how to stay safe.Ebola has infected nearly 12,000 people in Sierra Leone, more than in any other country, and it has resorted to some of the most stringent measures to stop the disease.The September shutdown was thought to be the first time since the plague devastated Europe in the Middle Ages that such a dramatic step has been taken.While recent weeks have seen a steep reduction in infections, 33 new cases were confirmed in Sierra Leone last week, according to the World Health Organization. Still, the outbreak is most worrying in Guinea, where it is driven by hidden cases.Liberia currently has only one patient in treatment.Sierra Leone President Ernest Bai Koroma vows to do “whatever it takes” to get to zero cases.Starting Friday at 6 a.m. (0600 GMT), Sierra Leoneans were asked to stay in their homes until Sunday evening.Markets, shops, restaurants and bars must shut. Muslims will be allowed to attend prayers on Friday, and Christians can go to services on Sunday, the start of Holy Week before Easter.last_img read more

Football Friday-Week #2 (8-30)

first_imgListen to The Sports Voice-Country 103.9 WRBI this Football Friday Night for exciting area High School Football Action.On the Radio-The Battle Of Ripley County.  The Batesville Bulldogs host The Milan Indians.On the Web-The I-74 Border War.  The East Central Trojans host The Harrison Wildcats.Kickoff for both games will be at 7.WRBI’s Countdown To Kickoff at 6.WRBI will keep you updated with our other area games.Franklin County at Connersville. Oldenburg Academy at Indy Southside Home School Academy. Greensburg at Jennings County. North Decatur at Edinburgh. South Decatur at Eastern Hancock. South Dearborn hosts Madison. Lawrenceburg at Taylor. Rushville hosts New Castle. Union County hosts Adams Central.Indiana Sports Talk With Bob Lovell follows our games.last_img

Vardy commits to Foxes

first_img Press Association The 27-year-old joined Leicester in the summer of 2012 from Fleetwood Town and has netted 21 times in 70 appearances for the club, including 16 goals last term as the Foxes won the Sky Bet Championship title. Vardy, who was named Players’ Player of the Year by his Leicester team-mates for last season, told lcfc.com: “I’m over the moon. We all know that the club wants to keep improving and stay in the Premier League, and I definitely want to be a part of that. “Everyone knows the way that I’ve come back into football (from non-league), and we managed to get promoted last season, but now it’s all about making sure that we stay in the Premier League. “(Manager) Nigel Pearson brought me here and he wants the club to maintain their Premier League status. He was a big influence (on him signing a new deal) and now I’ve just got to repay him on the field.” Vardy joins Danny Drinkwater, Matty James, Liam Moore, Wes Morgan, David Nugent, Jeff Schlupp, Kasper Schmeichel, Gary Taylor-Fletcher and Marcin Wasilewski in signing new deals since winning Leicester secured promotion in April. center_img Leicester striker Jamie Vardy has signed a new four-year contract tying him to the Barclays Premier League newcomers until June, 2018.last_img read more

Gov. Ron DeSantis issues stay at home order for Florida

first_imgDuring Wednesday’s press conference Gov. Ron DeSantis announced he will be signing an executive stay at home order for the state of Florida.All Floridians are to stay at home unless they are doing essential activities.“I’m going to be doing an executive order directing all Floridians to limit movements and personal interactions outside the home to only those necessary to obtain or provide essential services or conduct essential activities,” DeSantis announced.last_img

Southern Utah seeks revenge on N. Arizona

first_img Associated Press Southern Utah seeks revenge on N. Arizona For more AP college basketball coverage: https://apnews.com/Collegebasketball and http://twitter.com/AP_Top25___This was generated by Automated Insights, http://www.automatedinsights.com/ap, using data from STATS LLC, https://www.stats.com February 14, 2020center_img LEADING THE CHARGE: Cameron Oluyitan and John Knight III have led the Thunderbirds. Oluyitan is averaging 13.8 points and 4.5 rebounds while Knight is putting up 12.3 points per game. The Lumberjacks have been led by Cameron Shelton and Brooks DeBisschop. Shelton has averaged 13.7 points, 6.3 rebounds and 4.2 assists while DeBisschop has put up 11.7 points and 7.6 rebounds per game.CLUTCH CAMERON: Oluyitan has connected on 38.6 percent of the 114 3-pointers he’s attempted and has made 10 of 25 over the last five games. He’s also converted 85.3 percent of his free throws this season.UNBEATEN WHEN: The Lumberjacks are 8-0 when they score at least 75 points and 5-10 when they fall shy of that total. The Thunderbirds are 6-0 when the team records at least nine steals and 8-10 when falling short of that total.ASSIST-TO-FG RATIO: The Thunderbirds have recently gotten baskets via assists more often than the Lumberjacks. Northern Arizona has an assist on 35 of 83 field goals (42.2 percent) across its past three contests while Southern Utah has assists on 42 of 69 field goals (60.9 percent) during its past three games.DID YOU KNOW: The stout Southern Utah defense has held opposing offenses to a field goal percentage of 38.7 percent, the 20th-best mark in the country. Northern Arizona has allowed opponents to shoot 45.6 percent from the field through 23 games (ranked 304th).___ Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditSouthern Utah (14-10, 7-6) vs. Northern Arizona (13-10, 7-7)Walkup Skydome, Flagstaff, Arizona; Saturday, 6 p.m. ESTBOTTOM LINE: Northern Arizona goes for the season sweep over Southern Utah after winning the previous matchup in Cedar City. The teams last played each other on Jan. 16, when the Lumberjacks created 17 Southern Utah turnovers and turned the ball over just eight times en route to a three-point victory.last_img read more